As a development company, we can tell you that it is an absolute nightmare to develop a website that actually works in Internet Explorer(IE). The only thing you should ever use Internet Explorer for is to download another browser. IE has become so unpopular, that most companies don’t even accommodate it anymore, such as banking apps.
Here’s a sample of a day in the life of a web developer: You spend hours making sure that your page looks great, and you test it out in Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and even Opera. It looks great, awesome! Now you open up IE and the page looks like somebody put it into a blender. Then you spend double the amount of time trying to fix it and after 5 hours of blood, sweat and tears you give up out of pure hopelessness.
I am not going to list the advantages of IE, because there are none – the only advantage is that it’s free, that is where it stops.
Reasons why you should not use Internet Explorer:
- Compatibility – or the lack thereof. It supports so little features. Like HTML5 and CSS3.
- It’s a target for hackers and cyber-thieves
- The main “competition” to Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome, are free. Opera too.
- Most modern website’s do not work in IE.
- Most developers don’t test their websites to work in IE anymore.
What should you use instead?
On a Mac:
On a Windows Computer:
If you would still choose to use Internet Explorer and something doesn’t look right, you will know why.